Good Readers and Good Writers
Nabokov thinks a good reader should
have imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense. A person must reread their books several
times in order to be considered a good reader.
Nabokov talks about using “impersonal imagination and artistic delight”
rather than relating every story to your own personal experiences. He also believes the best temperament for a
reader to have is a combination of artistic and scientific.
I think that what Nabokov wrote made
a lot of sense. I do consider myself a
pretty good reader, but there is always room for improvement. I have been working on vocabulary
lately. I am making myself slow down and
look up words that I don’t know. I have
been trying to take more time to take it all in and really understand what the
author is trying to say.
Marie,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the fact you posted your blog #1 response to "Good Readers and Good Writers", as I have been searching for days for another classmate to do so. Thank you. I really dislike waiting to the last minute to do my homework, drives me nuts, always like to be ahead.
I really liked the video you found on Nabokov, great pictures of him. I wish it had more of a background of who he was, but I guess one can view those photo's to see even at a young age he was infatuated with literature, and the outdoors. It sounded to me like you felt like I did in many ways after reading his article. It struck me like a lead brick, I never thought of writing the way he did. Personally, I thought I was a great reader but realized I have a lot to improve upon before I can consider myself to be such.
I feel like we are blessed to be in this course, and have an instructor that is very knowledgeable, able to give us tools we need to be better writers/readers. I am glad she started off our introduction week with this assignment as it really drives the point deep inside and helps us appreciate all works of literature. I hope you are excited like I am for the upcoming assignments we will encounter this semesters. Oh yea, great introduction video by the way. I lived in Oregon for a few years and love it there. Your pictures of Washington made me homesick!
Thank you! Take care!
-David H.
Hi Marie! Thank you for your post I enjoyed your video on Vladimir Nabokov. However, like David, I felt that the video was lacking a little in content. I think that it would have accompanied your post better if it had some more information to it. However, I do appreciate that the video gave us some insight into his earlier years and perhaps his personality as well. I also enjoy vocabulary! I love to learn new words. I like to look up words that I am unfamiliar with when I am reading. It fascinates me how new words can change the feel and meaning of a sentance. Nabokov spent a lot of time talking about the hidden world of the author, for me learning new vocabulary helps to unlock those new worlds. Thanks again for your post!
ReplyDeleteTracy Bosick
Hi Marie,
ReplyDeletei liked your post, I think a lot of things Nabokov says we need like a dictionary is kind of strange to me but I guess a lot of people use them. Reading is something I really started loving I don't think I would have if it wasn't for someone in my life but I now I am glad I became really good at it. Nice to meet you, hope you have a great semester.
Marie,
ReplyDeleteVery nice blog. Good effort on the video. Regarding the topic, I agree with you and Nabokov. I thinks a good reader should have imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense. I like that you are working on your vocabulary. I enjoy reading authors or listening to people speak who have a broad variety of vocabulary. It is a trait that helps you sound educated. Keep up the good work.
Hi Marie,
ReplyDeleteYour blog looks great and good job on your introductory video.
As for your post, thank you for posting the video about Nabokov. It was a great tribute. Anyways, I agree with you about slowing down when reading and looking up words we don't quite use in our everyday vocabulary. I think having a full understanding about the vocabulary being used will make a difference on how we read a book. Having a better understanding is definitely better than just a vague understanding of what it might mean. I, also agree when you said there is always room for improvement when it comes to being a good reader. I felt this was a great excerpt from Nabokov to read before starting our English class, because now we have a sense of how we should look at the literature we will be reading in this class, or even in English classes we might take in the future.
Have a great semester.
I can't view the video at the moment because my daughter is sleeping next to me but I will watch it later as other people seem to have liked it. I agree that those four characteristics make a good reader and that there are other things that also make a good reader. One thing I didn't think I would find myself agreeing with is that a good reader will reread. I reread all the time just so I can understand and I always thought it was just because I was a little slower at comprehending but it seems that it is just a common thing not to get all of it the first time.
ReplyDeleteMarie,
ReplyDeleteI am delighted to be following your blog. I enjoy your self-awareness of improving your reading skills. I too need to improve my vocabulary. I am 25 and I haven't written academically in years. I have found that because of emailing and texting I have become lazy about spelling and use of words. I enjoyed your link. I am excited to pick up a classic soon and dive in.
This was my favorite part of the 10 Ways article:
"And what a person thinks on his own without being stimulated by the thoughts and experiences of other people is even in the best case rather paltry and monotonous."
Shannen